5/18/12

Bridgeport History/Gustave Whitehead



Aviation pioneer Gustave Whitehead who emigrated from Germany to Bridegport, CT was acknowledged by the historical park city.A water fountain was erected in his memory just down the road from A Royal Flush and we thought it would be a good idea to share.

Gustave was the first in flight a few years before the Wright Brother's and he did it in Bridgeport.
It was unfortunate that there were no photographs to support evidence of the low to the ground motorized flights which many historians dismiss. You could do you own research of this lively aviation debate online and decide for yourself.

I was born and raised in Bridgeport and I have made a point of studying this great city that is richer in history than what people give it credit for.It goes unnoticed, because the crime waves of recent decades has overshadowed an outstanding city that once was and still has potential to be. Historical preservation was always an afterthought and in my opinion largely ignored by the people who were put in positions of power years ago.

In the up coming weeks I will make a point of posting Bridgeport historical facts and would love to hear your thoughts, stories and shared knowledge. I look forward to hearing from you. Until then, if you happen to be in the area take a look at Gustave Whitehead's fountain and enjoy what should be the beginning of good things to come.



No comments: