When you look back on your list, it is important to take that list with a grain of salt. At the beginning of the year, we have huge goals and asperations. We are on a post holiday sugar high and frankly we rarely know what we are agreeing to.
In previous years, my lists have said ridiculous things like learn French, knit a sweater or save $10,000. Did I accomplish those things? Ummm no, I didn't. But I made an effort to change myself and that alone is a success.
When you make your list this year, here are my tips:
- Be specific. Don't say you want to lose weight, say you want to lose 5, 10, 20 lbs.
- Keep the list short. No one is going to accomplish 50 things over the year. A list of just five things is a great place to start.
- Be realistic. What do you actually have the time and energy to accomplish?
- Hold yourself accountable. Ask friends or family to participate in your New Year's resolutions. You can all work together towards accomplishing goals.
- Lastly, celebrate the successes. Did you say you wanted to lose 20 lbs but maybe you only lost 5? Celebrate that loss because you still lost something!
With these tips, I hope you aim for greatness in 2017! What are your resolutions?